Thursday, June 9, 2011

One inch....

... at a time.

I am so totally committed to my yoga brain now. Every time I put my face on the mat, something inside smiles. Sivananda classes were new to me two months ago, but now feel like welcoming an old friend on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I feel a resonance with my teacher that I haven't experienced with very many people. As we breathe kapalbhati kriya, I sense the energy moving into my limbs, as if I'm enfolded in a soft white cocoon. It takes focus. Yet I feel totally relaxed between rounds.

My stretches have moved forward. One pose surprised me tonight. I moved into it easily and further than I've been for several years. Oh, how did I get THERE? One inch at a time. My endurance has improved in a few short weeks.

Other more subtle changes are happening, almost organically. I have no taste for meat, and am moving toward a more vegetarian diet all the time. I walk past the meat counter at the supermarket and can hardly look at the red meat. I shop on the perimeter of the store where the fresh stuff is! I'm experimenting with a friend to find new vegetarian recipes. We share dinner once a week. Some recipes are great, others are not so great.

My boundaries are getting clearer. I heard from a long-ago friend today. She wanted to move here from the east coast so I could help her recover from a drug addiction. I had to say no. I feel for her, she sounded quite lost. But I also knew that this is not my professional field and that such a move for her would be disastrous for both of us. Moving will not solve her issues. I gently inquired about local services and supported her re-joining a 12 Step program. She had excuses for everything and why things don't work. I wish her well and a path she can follow. It's one inch at a time for her as well. What I can do is offer her compassion but not take on her energy.

Lokah Samasta Sukhino Bhavantu: May all beings everywhere be happy and free and may the thoughts and actions of our lives contribute to that happiness and that freedom for ALL living things. Namaste.

No comments: