Sunday, June 12, 2011

Bliss and...

.. the Beginner's Mind.

At the beginning of this morning's class, our teacher read a poem about having a "Beginner's Mind." I didn't catch the author but the notions of openness and curiosity stuck with me through practice. So of course, I had to look it up when I got home.

Shoshin is a Zen concept of genuine openness and eagerness and with the lack of preconceptions when approaching a subject even on an advanced level. I thought back to when my son started to read and a new world suddenly opened to him. His eyes would grow large and bright as he sounded out words and phrases. He would laugh as new words tumbled out of his mouth. Wide eyed wonder and awe.

As I'm re-establishing my yoga practice, I'm finding the same sense of delight and awe. I can feel micro changes and adjustments in my body, subtle lengthening and softening. Smiles bubble up from deep inside. Mind quiets. Focus deepens.

May I never lose that sense of wonder...

No comments: