Saturday, November 12, 2011

Twas the night....

before ashram and all thru the....

OK, I won't get all poetic here... Altho I have written some mean parodies to that classic tale in my day.

Tomorrow I head to the ashram.  Drove from home to Fresno yesterday, 9.5 hrs, the last 3 in rain and crazy drivers.   California sure does not feel like home anymore.   The roads are in terrible bumpy wumpy shape, starting at the border.   Hwy 99 thru the central valley is still just as congested as ever, altho driving thru orchards and farm lands is nice after the deserts of AZ.  I really had a sense of just visiting here, rather than a state I called home for almost 20 years.  

Part of this trip is reconnecting with some old friends, both nurses, and relishing in the friendships that deepen over the years.  With both, it was like we've never been apart and we are just picking up after yesterday's conversation, when in fact, its been years.   Those are good friends... no strangeness, no weirdness, just deep friendship.

I've been re-reading Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, one of my favorite books of all time.  I know not everyone loved it as I did, but the story of Liz's year of travel and self discovery hit very close to home.  I don't have the luxury of a publisher's advance to trek to Italy, India, and Indonesia, but that book clearly articulated so many of the struggles I have...  so I was re-reading it, well, at least the part about India, before I left.  I gave the book to my Fresno friend this morning... she's in a similar place and I think the metaphors within Liz's journey may bring her some reassurance.   I have the book on audio, so listened to it as I came north today.

Liz's time in an ashram spoke to me on many levels, yet I'm trying to move toward my arrival tomorrow without expectations or pre-conceived notions.  I really have no idea what to expect....  just trying to stay open to possibilities.   My intention to find ways to more fully integrate this practice into my life, not just with classes but on a day to day focus.  There is such richness to this tradition, I hope to bring home just a tiny bit!  Or maybe a lot!

No comments: