Thursday, November 10, 2011

The next great....

...adventure.


I'm leaving in the morning, headed west to Grass Valley and the Ashram.  Other than my yoga teachers, I don't know anyone who has done a week in an ashram, and while I'm excited, I still don't know what to expect.  And that's OK.

I've done a few adventures.   When I was 30, I was getting a divorce and starting life as a single mom of a 2 yr old.   That summer, I went to Washington State and climbed a mountain with Outward Bound.   I had no idea what to expect with that trip, but after over a week of trekking with a 60 pound pack, I stood at the summit of Silver Star Mountain and lived to tell the story.  It was a huge leap of faith for me at that time.  And showed me that I could do just about anything I set my mind to.....   it remains a peak experience (pun intended!).

And now off for a week at the ashram.  The parallels are obvious.   Off into the great unknown.  Can I do it?  What will it be like?  The staff at the ashram has been so wonderful in answering my questions and aceepting my nervousness.   The email last night said... "I understand your nervousness, I felt exactly the same way before I came here the first time! You are coming to a place of acceptance where you grow spiritually, physically and mentally. You made the right decision, and I congratulate you for that."

I've almost cried with each of the emails I've received.

It's sort of like climbing that mountain.... only this time, I'm Inward Bound.

No comments: