Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tales of the Ashram...

....Part 1.

It has taken some time to settle in to this very different environment.  The quiet, the schedule, the food, the weather (colder than I expected)....  the classes, the chanting, the staff people (not very friendly at first), the other students (interesting mix).

The first morning, I woke up at 345 am.   I was toasty warm on the futon with a down comforter and wide awake.   But I didn’t get up.   I think I finally went back to sleep about 430 and my alarm went off at 530.  And back to meditation at 6 am  …..   but my only thought was….

Socks.  I need socks.  How did I forget socks?  Last night, I realized that I had only packed 3 pr of socks (What???) and cotton ones at that and its cold here and my feet are freezing.  Never mind the discomfort of sitting stone still for 30 minutes of silent meditation, I hardly noticed my screaming hips, unhappy sacrum, because my feet were yelling even louder… Socks!  We must have clean Socks. 

I tried to focus on four friends who are all facing health challenges right now.  I would start with a sweet mantra of their names and pretty soon it became M-Socks-M-Socks-J-Socks-B-Socks.   My left foot fell asleep but the message still came thru.  

OK, I think, during free time today, I’ll zip up to Grass Valley and get more socks… maybe that will make my mind quiet down… although I doubt it.  It’s not a panic thing like forgetting an extra pair of contacts… but more practical.  I thought I had brought everything I would need for a week, but I didn’t……  oh and a grocery store would be good too.  I think I need prunes.  You get the idea.  The monkey wants prunes and socks?

This is now known as the famous Sock Meditation.  And yes, I got to Grass Valley and yes, I have sufficient socks to get me home.  The shopping trip also included cheese, crackers, nuts, and contraband instant coffee (no, I'm not ready to give up caffeine yet).

On the inside, I've quieted a lot.  Today, Tuesday, I didn't have the wild urge to pack up and leave like I did yesterday.  The outside world already seems far away.  Meditation was easier tonight.  I kept my mantra going until the leader began the Om's to signal the end of silent meditation.  Yoga classes are good... the 4 pm is my new favorite, with rotating teachers, many of whom just graduated last week.

I decided not to fight my addiction to the computer and have been journaling at every opportunity.  And sending those off to my best friends....  no TV here of course, so I'm quieter and can actually sit and type without distraction.   Somehow about 4 hours of meditation and 4 hours of yoga don't seem that much now.  

I'm staying thru Sunday AM.  Jai Uttal will be here teaching a kirtan class and I think that is worth staying for.  Read the brochure today and yep, I'm in.   Easy.  And they give Senior Discounts! 

I'm very glad I chose a Deluxe Cabin with a private bath.  No roommate.   Bargain.  The only way to go.  Heat, shower, bed, computer, fridge, hot water pot.   Day 3 begins early tomorrow.   It will be over before I know it!   It's all good.

No comments: