Saturday, July 30, 2011

More layers...

...some above and some below. 

I've been waking up early this week.  Like an hour before the alarm.  I've always wanted to be more of a morning person, maybe that's happening.   For the last several mornings, I've gotten up and headed to a quiet room in the house to sit in meditation for a while.  This is a new layer for me.... a quiet sitting meditation.

I've attempted to cultivate a meditation practice on many occasions, but somehow the discipline fails to stick for an extended period of time.  I know I can quiet my mind by sewing or knitting, listening to soft music or yogic chanting,  but just sitting in silence has been a challenge.   I can easily slide into quiet in a yoga class, but somehow, at home, its different.  My thoughts race from one thing to another rather than stillness.

I often use a mala and repeat a mantra .... that helps .... but the cultivation of true silence is still elusive.  This morning, my head was swimming with the tasks of the day, problem solving, or reflecting on how stiff my knees are in the morning. 

Tis the next layer to explore....

No comments: