Sunday, August 21, 2011

Abundance...

...on the mat.

I love the Sunday morning classes.   The teacher is graceful, detailed, kind, and has the sweetest energy around her.  We've been focusing on each chakra for the past 6 weeks, and today was the final installment, the crown chakra.   We practiced without music today, which I do like.  And from the start, I was able to deeply meditate in the resting poses.

Today, as she narrated, I could feel lots of  micromovements especially in my spine and hips.  Lots of little adjustments were going on (of course, just seeing my chiro helps too), and I could feel my spine and neck lengthening, even in millimeters.  What kept coming to my mind was abundance.  Each time I'd feel a lengthening, it was about abundance.  Abundance of grace, of movement, of spirit, of community.

Then we got to full wheel (backbend) at the end.  OK, I admit it, I'm terrified to full wheel.  At one time, many moons ago, I could do a great backbend, even from a standing position.  But the years of course, take their toll.  And now between wrists and neck and low back, full wheel would be nice but..... 

I suddenly remember my father commenting that if I did a backbend every day, I'd never lose it.  And although we had sort of a love/hate relationship, I have to give this one to him.  I stopped doing backbends in high school. 

But even that thought, and a tad of grief over this loss of mobility, did not take from the sensation of abundance that I felt on the mat this morning. 

During final savasana,  I truly drifted somewhere.   I have no idea what the teacher said at that pont, I was totally quiet in mind and body and not even aware of the surroundings.  That is abundance.

Om Shanti ....

No comments: